J Korean Acad Rehabil Med Search


Journal of the Korean Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine 1994;18(2):12.
The Epidemiology of Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury
고현윤, 김기찬*, 조근열**, 박인선** Hyun-Yoon Ko, M.D., Ghi Chan Kim, M.D.*,, Geun Yeol Jo, M.D.** and In-Sun Park M.D.**
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Pusan National Hospital, Kosin Medical College*, Inje University College of Medicine**
외상성 척수손상환자에 대한 역학(疫學)적 연구
부산대학교병원 재활의학과, 고신의대 재활의학교실*, 인제의대 재활의학교실**

The epidemiology of traumatic spinal cord injury has been not as well examined in Korea. This study examined the influence of selected demographic and epidemiologic variables on 112 patients with traumatic spinal cord injury at the time of injury during a 6-year period. These variables included age, preinjury occupation, topographic level, completeness of spinal cord injury, and time, week and season, and mechanisms of the injury. The leading cause of traumatic spinal cord was falls (42.0%), followed by motor vehicle accidents (39.3%). Paraplegia accounted for 70.5% of the traumatic spinal cord injuries, and quadriplegia accounted for the remaining 29.5%. Traumatic spinal cord injury occurred most commonly in June, summer, the time of midday to 6 P.M. and on Saturday.

Key Words: Traumatic spinal cord injury, Epidemiology


Browse all articles >

Terms of Use   |   Privacy Polity
Editorial Office
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital
101 Daehak-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, Korea
Tel: +82-10-8678-2671    Fax: +82-2-6072-5244    E-mail: edit@e-arm.org; edit.karm@gmail.com
Business Registration: 110-82-07460                

Copyright © 2024 by Korean Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine.

Developed in M2PI

Close layer